Tuesday, February 5, 2013

It's all in a name...

A few weekends ago we had a baby naming ceremony for Adelaide. Rabbi Sugarmen, who married us,blessed our sweet baby, blessed our family and gave Adelaide her hebrew name. We named her to honor and remember Adam's grandmother Anne Zima. Anne played a big part in Adam's life and was lucky enough to spend a lot of time getting to know once we moved to New York. Anne passed away when Isaac was a baby, but Adelaide will know her through the stories that we have to tell.
Just like she was given a special name, Adelaide wore a special dress for the occasion. She is the fifth generation to wear this frock. My mother estimated that the dress is 115 years old. The dress started as a first communion dress for my great grandmother. She turned it into a christaning gown for her babies, including my grandmother Bea. Then, my mom and her siblings wore it, as did my sisters and I. It is holding up well for it's age. Hopefully, Adelaide and the boys' babies will wear it as well.

No comments: